Barrington Hall was completed in 1842 with grounds laid out by an English landscape gardener. RGC members adopted the English Garden as their civic project for 2005 – 2007. RGC members prepared the gardens for opening day in September 2005. The members planted Pentas, white and purple Asters, Gardenia Augusta, Torenia and yellow Mums.
In 2005, Robert Winebarger, the Site Coordinator, asked the RGC to help recreate an 1840’s Southern Christmas for the holiday tours. Visitors to Barrington Hall during the holiday season were treated to an extra history lesson as a result of the accurate trimmings created by the RGC.
In April 2006, RGC was awarded a grant by the Garden Club of Georgia in the amount of $1,200 that was matched by the Club, to refurbish the formal boxwood gardens at Barrington Hall.
The RGC was asked once again to assist with holiday trimmings in 2006. The members spent over 600 hours decorating the Hall with themed rooms based on the various residents of Barrington Hall.
Throughout 2006 and 2007 the RGC created a large holding garden along King Drive, donated a Butterfly Garden by the Carriage House, and maintained the gardens surrounding the house and in the boxwood gardens.
In the spring of 2006 the RGC donated a peach orchard, with a tree for each of our five Honorary Members and one for our deceased members, to the grounds of Barrington Hall.
In 2015, the butterfly garden was designated a National American Butterfly Association garden.
The RGC now maintains the Butterfly Garden and Peach Orchard, as well as any other projects as they are needed on the grounds.
The RGC also maintains the surrounding roadway through the City Adopt-A-Road program.